Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why Modesty? Part I







 Modesty seems to be the new topic to discuss, especially if you're a conservative, Christian, homeschooled young lady. At times, it seems like everyone is discussing it, talking about it, reading about it, trying to implement it into their lives... And everyone seems to have an opinion on the topic. And this is mine

Disclaimer #1: I'm not going to give you a fix-everything list of rules & regulations. I don't think that is what is needed here. That will fix nothing, as they're not all applicable to all of us. So I'm going to use a lot of Scriptures & references & leave you to work out the implications in your own life.

Disclaimer #2- This is mainly written towards my female friends, although I would hope some of the young men can glean from it also.

Caution- So many times, we as humans, think "Oh! I wish so-and-so could read this!" or "[That person] really needs to apply this to her life" instead of seeing that it is really us that needs to hear the Word in the first place! So, I strongly encourage you to pray through this, asking God what you can learn from this, what He's trying to teach you through this...

Alrighty, that aside, jumping in, feet first:

Why Modesty?

Why should I be modest?
(Part I)

1) I believe that everything we think, speak & do should be for God's Glory. 

  "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." - Colossians 3:17, 23

That pretty much sums up my stance on it all. If it's not God-honoring, then why are you doing it?

2) I believe that we are Called for something Better. 

"But as He who Called you is Holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,  since it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”- 1 Peter 1:15-16

Immodest dress & behavior does not honor God nor bring Him Glory.

3) I believe that we're Commanded to live Holy, Righteous Lives

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality & all impurity, as is proper among saints..." - Ephesians 5:3

This is one of my favorite passages of Scripture. Just ask my friends, I quote it all the time. We were Called for something Better! Immorality, sin & immodesty have no part in that! See also 2 Timothy 2:22 & Philippians 4:8

4) Immodesty is a "Contradictory Witness"

"For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), & try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.  But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light.." - Ephesians 5:8-13

We were once in darkness, but now we are in light. We once were sinful, but now we are Saved. Why then do we want to live like the World??? Go & sin no more!

5) I also believe that we're Called to set an example for those younger than us.

"Let no one look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

I once heard a pastor give a sermon about how young people often grab a hold of the first part of that verse, saying "Yes! Don't look down on me!" but fail to apply the second half. We are Called to set an example for the young & older folks. How are you doing in that area???

6) It is for our own good (not drawing unnecessary attention to ourselves).

"Guard your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life." - Proverbs 4:23

Immodest clothes & actions draw unnecessary attention to ourselves. Not really something I'd like to attract... What about you?

7)  We are Called to keep our brothers from stumbling.

"But take care that this "right" of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone sees you...will he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? And so by your "knowledge" this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." - 1 Corinthians 8:9-13

*Note: In the above passage, Paul is instructing the new Corinthian Church concerning eating food that has been previously sacrificed to idols. So this subject doesn't directly deal with modesty. But it does talk about not causing your brother to stumble. You get the idea...

 I have heard a lot of young ladies say that "It isn't my job to keep him from falling." This is not true. While, I do agree, yes, that it is the young man's responsibility first to guard his eyes & mind, it is also our job to help them in this. This is one way that we can serve our brothers in Christ (1 Timothy 5:1-2). Looking out for each other. This is one way God designed the Church family to function.


I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. Do you agree or disagree with my statements? If so, why? Do you think modesty is important today, to you? Why or why not? Thanks! :)

Also, if you were intrigued by this research & would like to more reading, please let me know & I will recommend some resources for you.

2 comments:

  1. Can I borrow your hammer? I need to write a blog post myself and hope I can hit the nail on the head as well as you just did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... THANKS Dakota! :) At first I was like... "Wait, what? A hammer?" & then I read through the *rest* of your comment... ;) I'm glad you approve!

    *Passes the imaginary hammer* I can't wait to read your next post! And your posts are ALWAYS good!!! VERY motivating, encouraging, uplifting, admonishing, thought-provoking etc... Keep up the good work, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete