Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Contentment



We all go through a period of WAITING in our lives. Waiting on people. Waiting on different events to take place. But how do we usually react to these events & circumstances, I wonder?

Oftentimes, I think that us humans think in "if...then" statements. Let me explain. "If I was _________ [insert your definitive here], then I'd be happy." Or "If I had ______________, then I'd be happy."

What are you waiting on? Insert your own word above- Marriage, children, an answer to prayer, healing, more money, a new truck, a bigger home, children moved out (shame!), kids married, grandchildren, retirement, Heaven... whatever it might be.

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about contentment ("Am I really content with where God has me right now?") I verbally said, "Yes, Lord, I think I am content." [Like I'd mastered that character trait- Yeah right!!!] It was as if the Lord said "Oh, you really think so, do you? Well, we'll see about that..."



These past 3 weeks have been very hard. It seems like it's been one trial, test, doubt & affirmation after another... God has been SO Faithful through it all. He's been revealing character trait upon Truth upon attribute after another... It's been hard (to be sure!), but it's been SOOOOO GOOD at the same time!!!

This is what I feel like God has been teaching me. I hope this is a blessing to you!

1) My Strength, satisfaction, joy, peace, identity & happiness is found in Him ALONE. Nothing else will fill my insatiable desire for Him, no matter how hard I might try to pursue other, lesser things than Him. Searching for lesser things to fill the void only leaves me more empty, drained, frustrated & depressed. It isn't worth it.

2) "God is most glorified when man is most satisfied in Him." - John Piper. This statement works both ways- "Man is most satisfied when God is most glorified."

3) God has not failed me yet. Why do I doubt Him now?

4) God's Plan is SO much bigger & better than anything I could ever think up. His ways are Higher. He has a Plan & Purpose for all of this. Why can't I just trust Him in this???

5) I needed a fresh Perspective- A reminder of how GREAT God is & how utterly small I am. A reminder of His attributes, character, Promises & Truth. What a better place to find these things than in His very own Word to us??? I also needed to spend more time in communion with Him, namely in prayer.

6) I had to cease striving in my own strength. It wasn't until I stopped trying, sat silently before Him & waited patiently for His response before I heard Him speak.

7) I found out very quickly that I am NOT ready for the "next step of my life," as I had (mistakenly) previously thought I was. There is still much work for God to do upon my heart, mind, words & actions.

Next, some questions-Are you content?What are you waiting on God for?Are you "ready to wait"?What is stopping you from waiting on Him?Where do you desire God to act in your life?Do your desires line up with God"s desires for your life?Do you trust that He has your best in mind- for your good & His glory?Are you listening to His voice & following His direction?

Lastly, some Scripture to encourage us. God is bringing to mind specifically:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been Called according to His Purposes." - Romans 8:28

"Delight yourself in the Lord & He will give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4

"Be still & know that I am God..." - Psalm 46:10a

"For everything there is a Season & a Time for everything under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

"Whom have I in Heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh & my heart may fail, but God is the Strength of my heart & my portion forever." - Psalm 73:25-26

"I wait patiently of the Lord, He will turn to me & hear my cries. He will lift me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud & mire. He will set my feet on a Rock & give me a firm place to stand. He is putting a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will SEE & fear & put their trust in the Lord." - Psalm 40:1-3

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galatians 6:9

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer & petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

"Wait for the Lord, be strong & take heart & wait for the Lord." - Psalm 27:14

"He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the Day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1:6

"It is in Christ that we find out who we are & what we are living for." - Ephesians 1:12

"Seek His Will in all you do & He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:6

"For My Thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,' declares the Lord. 'For as the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways & My Thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are temporary, but the things that are unseen are eternal." - 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Other Scriptures for meditation: Jeremiah 29:11, 2 Corinthians 12:9, Colossians 3:2, Hebrews 11:1, Hebrews 12:1-3, Philippians 4:13, Proverbs 2:3-5, Lamentations 3:21-23, Mark 8:36, Matthew 6:21, Colossians 3:17, Psalm 34:17-18, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, Psalm 84:10-12, Isaiah 54:10, Habakkuk 3:17-18, Hebrews 13:5-6, Matthew 28:20, Isaiah 30:15, Psalm 62:1-2, 1 Peter 5:10, Proverbs 3:5-6, Psalm 37:7, John 16:33, 1 John 5:14-15, 1 Corinthians 13:12, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Psalm 36:5-8, Isaiah 40:28-31, Isaiah 65:24, Hebrews 12:11, Hebrews 4:16 etc.



Now, on this side of the trial, I can now say I AM CONTENT with where God has me right now. God is Faithful. And He is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment