Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Blessed Be Your Name"




Last night, I finished a book entitled Blessed Be Your Name by Matt & Beth Redman. It was very encouraging & a blessing to me. I bought this book on a tangent about two years ago, but never read it until yesterday. It was a very timely reminder. The vast majority of this book is underlined & highlighted, because I learned so much from it.

I would highly encourage you to read this book. It talks about praising God, no matter what He brings into your life. About choosing to praise Him in the middle of the storm and when the sea is calm... It talks about the importance of remembering what God has done for you in the past, what he is doing for you in the present & what He will do for you in the future. It talks about thanking God, no matter what happens.

Its title comes from one of my favorite songs (that Matt Redman wrote). You can hear the song here & read the lyrics here. This song has a special meaning to my family, because it's one of the songs that we held onto when my youngest brother was born with spina bifida in 2005. It was a special encouragement to us & still holds a special placei n our hearts...

Some excerpts-

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you...
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned."
- Isaiah 43:2
 
"We worship a triumphant Savior, a victorious King... The God of unbroken promises. When He acts, no one can reverse it. When He speaks, His commands never reutrn empty... The doors He chooses to open, no one can close; & the doors He purposes to close, no one can open. No plan of His has ever been thwarted. No one has ever outmaneuvered Him, outlived Him or outloved Him..." - Matt Redman
 
"Enter His gates with thanksgiving & His courts with praise;
give thanks to Him & praise His Name..."
- Psalm 100:4-5
 
"Father, let me dedicate all this [life] to Thee, in whatever worldly state thou would have me be. Not from sorrow, pain or care freedom dare I claim,this alone shall be my prayer, glorify Thy Name." - Laurence Tuttiett
 
"Give thanks to the LORD, call on His Name;
make known among the nations what He has done.
Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all His wonderful acts.
Glory in His holy Name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
Look to the LORD & His strength; seek His face always..."
- Psalm 105:1-4

 
"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains- it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." - C.S. Lewis
 
"Why are you s downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise Him,
my Savior & my God..."
- Psalm 42:5-6, 11
 
"I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in loveevenwhen I feel it not. I believe in God even when he is silent." - written on the wall of a Nazi concentration camp prisoner 
 
"Nevertheless, I still belong to You;
You hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
afterward You will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but You?
   
&
there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh & my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart & my portion forever."
-Psalm 73:23-26
 
"So often the soil of our suffering will become the fertile ground for our seasons of fruitfulness." - Matt Redman
 
" Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you..."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
 
Matt & Beth Redman use a lot of Biblical examples (Joseph, David, Job etc) of people who trusted in God, even when the circumstances seemed to contradict their faith. They also told the story of William Cowper, who wrote one of my favorite hymns- "God Moves in a Mysterious Way" (listen to it here & read the lyrics here) & his life-long battle with manic depression. God is Faithful through it all!
"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant,
but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness
to those who have been trained by it."
-Hebrews 12:11
 
 "For devotion to stand the test of time & endure through every season of the soul, it cannot be based on the ever-changing circumstances of our lives- it must have its foundation on the never-changing worth of God." - Matt Redman
 
 "Bless the Lord, O my soul,
all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    &  forget not all his benefits,who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love & mercy,who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's..."
- Psalm 105:1-5
 
"The question for us is this: What do we do when our world falls in? What shape does our worship take when things that we depend on give way beneath us? Can we... be found with an unswerving song of worship on our lips? Oh that God would bring us to that place- that even when the familiar & the comfortable fall away beneath us, still we are found with an undying song of trust flowing from our lips & from our lives." - Matt Redman
 
"And [Job] said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb,
& naked shall I return.
The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away;
blessed be the name of the Lord.
'”
- Job 1:21
 
"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away,
our inner self is being renewed day by day.
For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us
an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,
as we look not to the things that are seen
but to the things that are unseen.
For the things that are seen are temporary,
but the things that are unseen are eternal."
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
 
 "We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;
perplexed, but not driven to despair; 
persecuted, but not forsaken;
struck down, but not destroyed..."
- 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
 
Some questions to consider-
 
* In what ways can we choose to worship God in our daily lives in the good times and in the bad?
* Why do we constantly need to focus on God when life gets hard?
* When life is hard or painful, Can you still find your way to the place of praise?
* Why do you think faith in God is so important in this age of doubt, uncertainty & confusion?
* What do you think it means to be thankful in the midst of the pain?
* Do you ever think about honoring God throughout your day?
* Thanking Him for the small and the large things that He does for you?
* How has God been there for you yesterday & today?
* Can you thank Him for the blessings of life that are yet to come?
 
"For we know that God works all things
for the good of those who love Him,
who have been Called according
to His Purpose..."
- Romans 8:28
 
Be encouraged today!

No comments:

Post a Comment