Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Idolatry- Part II


An excerpt from Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex & Power, & The Only Hope that Matters by Dr Timothy Keller

(pg 19) ... "The most painful times in our lives are times in which our Isaacs, our idols, are being threatened or removed. When that happens we can respond in two ways. We can opt for bitterness & despair. We will feel entitled to wallow in those feeelings, saying, 'I've worked all my life to get to this place in my career, & now it's all gone!' or 'I've slaved my whole life to give that girl a good life & this is how she repays me!' We may feel at liberty to lie, cheat, take revenge, or throw away our principles in order to get some relief. Or we may simply live in a permanent dispondency.

Or else, like Abraham, you could take a walk up into the mountains. You could say, 'I see that You may be Calling me to live my life without something I never thought I could live without. But if I have You, I have the only wealth, health, love, honor & security I really need & cannot lose.' As many have learned & later taught, you don't realize Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you have."

(pg 170).... "David Powlison writes: .... 'that most basic question which God poses to each human heart: 'Has something or someone besides Jesus the Christ taken title to your heart's functional trust, preoccupation, loyalty, service, fear & delight? Questions... bring some people's idol systems to the surface. 'To who or what do you look for life-sustaining stability, security & acceptance? ... What do you really want & expect [out of life]? What would [really] make you happy? What would make you an acceptable person? Where do you look for power & success?' Those questions or similar ones tease out whether we serve God or idols, whether we look for salvation from Christ or from false saviors."


See also-
Idolatry Part I
Accountability

No comments:

Post a Comment